29 October 2010

The Movie Map: The Sequel

Yesterday, The Daily What published a map of the United States from Redditor subtonix, with film titles instead of state names. The goal was to find movies that best represent US states. Ambitious? Yep. Really vague? That too.

What are we really going for here?  A sense of place? Movies that were shot in that state or just based there? And what the heck are we supposed to do with states like California and New York that have libraries far too extensive to narrow it down to one iconic film. Plus, I just didn't really like this list. Fast Times at Ridgemont High for California? Jesus Camp for North Dakota AND Missouri? The Shawshank Redemption for Maine?

So instead of getting all CAPSY in the comments section...my friends and I made a new map.




It's not perfect. Some states just really don't have any good options. I refuse to put Jesus Camp in North Dakota so that's just blank. So is Delaware. Seriously, look at their wikipedia pages, the choices are slim.  Also, even though I committed to titles for some states, I'm still not thrilled with them (127 Hours for Utah, Sling Blade for Arkansas) and I'm open to suggestions. Finally, some states just have too many good options that I just couldn't choose.

What do you think?

Special thanks to @smitty4657 and @mcslaven.

2 comments:

J Kru said...

Ah, poor Virgina! A museum-state enslaved to its own history.

Clearly I haven't yet forced you to watch the awesome/terrible straight-to-VHS Jay Mohr and Brittany Murphy horror movie that was filmed at my high school in Richmond.

I actually love The New World, who am I kidding.

Also, what about DC?!

ldbahr said...

DC: Advise and Consent! Henry Fonda 1962. Awesomeness. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055728/

Seriously though, regional stereotypes are a big problem. Mike pointed out that Massachusetts really only has two types of movies: the ones about Southie and the ones about Harvard.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails