10 May 2010

Rodarte and Breathless


In honor of the 50th anniversary of the release of Jean-Luc Godard's film Breathless, the Mulleavy sisters (collectively known as Rodarte) are releasing two commemorative t-shirts to be sold at Barney's, Colette, and Dover Street Market. No word yet on the price or release date, but apparently one of the shirts will recreate the iconic New York Herald Tribune tee that Jean Seberg sported.  


Anyone with a logo file and a credit card can have a knock off made fairly easily, and cheaply for that matter.  This website also sells versions in ever concievable style (long sleeve, short sleeve, ringer, baby doll) and color, all for under $20.  And I'm actually shocked that Urban Outfitters hasn't done this yet.

I suppose we're to believe that this Rodarte/Rialto/Barneys version is special, but I'm not convinced.  It IS just a t-shirt after all, and possibly too iconic to even attempt to pull off.  Jean Seberg did it quite well and I'm not going to pretend like I'd be anything other than a disservice to the look.

1 comment:

Dean Treadway said...

I love the idea of girls going about in this shirt. It's an instant get, as far as I'm concerned.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails