28 December 2009

The Last Days of Disco (And the Year)

If Metropolitan was made for Christmas, then The Last Days of Disco was surely made for New Years.  These days, I only think in Stillman.  But don't worry, this is the last post on his films for a while.  I wasn't the biggest fan of Barcelona.

The Last Days of Disco is a story about two 20somethings just starting out in New York in the very early 1980s.  They have a small, awkwardly designed apartment, low level book publishing jobs, grand theories on life (with a mix of sometimes endearing, sometimes annoying sincerity and misguided world-weariness), and social lives made vibrant and glitzy through the gathering point of their demographic - the disco. 

Seeing this movie for the first time in high school, I figured that it was sort of what my 20something life would look like.   I was pretty wrong about that one. 

 
"Did people ever really dance in bars? I thought that was a myth."
-Charlotte Pingress


"It's really important there be more group social life. Not just all this ferocious pairing off."
-Charlotte Pingress  


"Those who didn't understand will never understand."
-Josh Neff


"Maybe in physical terms I'm a little cuter than you, but you should be much more popular than I am." 
-Charlotte Pingress
 
The Perfect Last Days of Disco Dress
 

I'll take the clothes, but this year I'll choose to stay away from the bars, the clubs, the cold, the crowds, and the $120 allyoucandrinkbutseemstoogoodtobetruebecauseitis specials.  With the prices of Champagne at the lowest they've been in years, it's the perfect time for an elegant house party.   Doesn't an evening of Tattinger, Wolfords, appetizers (Mango & Ginger has compiled a list of resources for we culinarily challenged), conversation, and viewings of some classicly elegant movies like Top Hat (you know, the kind of movies that Nancy Meyers THINKS that she is making) sound perfect?


Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers
Top Hat, 1935

The Jaded Heifer is throwing a 1920s-style party.  Any other worthy themes out there?

3 comments:

Kit Pollard said...

Even though making party snacks is pretty much my favorite thing, I am going out to dinner this year.

I am going to wear something inappropriately dressy for Baltimore, though. Because it's New Year's, and at New Year's, that's what you do.

I love that movie, though I'm not sure I can pull off the late 70s/early 80s disco glam thing. It pains me to say it, but I think I'm too old.

Marker said...

Fabulous movie. The soundtrack is an excellent compilation.

"Departmental Dan?"

ldbahr said...

I love anything movie that plays Heart of Glass.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails