11 January 2009

Embellished Simplicity at The Golden Globes

Forgive me if I'm completely incorrect, but I believe photos have never gone up this quickly for an awards show. Not even halfway through the broadcast, New York Magazine's website had 72 photos posted and tagged with names and designers. Knowing how tedious the task can be thanks to an all-nighter that I and some other interns and staffers pulled at People to rush the close of the Oscar 2005 issue, the immediacy of online updates is pretty cool. Awards shows used to be especially important to me. I remember the agony of waiting for People to go to press in high school, days after the Oscars or the Globes so I could obsess over the dresses and the fantasy of the event. My junior year of high school I even wrote and illustrated an "Oscar Night" Canterbury Tale...in iambic pentameter and everything. It was exceedingly odd.

The Globes are fun, albeit a bit pointless. People get to drink and sit at tables and it all seems very joyous. Also, this year there were some mercifully funny live blogs from the Fug Girls and The Hater.

8:47pm--"Hollywood's Most A-list party" Calm down, Golden Globes announcer. If you have to keep reminding us of how exclusive and magical the Golden Globes are, then they're obviously not exclusive and magical at all.

9:35pm--Yes! Tracy Morgan is the face of post-racial America!

9:37pm--"Deal with it, Cate Blanchett!" is my new ringtone.

9:44pm--Diddy is definitely not the teleprompter reader of post-racial America.

9:47pm--"As a real estate executive with amnesia, Christina Applegate, Samantha Who" These descriptions aren't doing these shows any favors.


But back to the clothes - none of my favorite celebrities were there this year - no Gwyneth Paltrow, Keira Knightley, or Natalie Portman unfortunately. Don't worry, I'm kind of over it. Anyway, my favorite looks this year were thus unbiased:

Anne Hathaway in Armani Prive

Evan Rachel Wood in Elie Saab

Kate Beckinsale in J.Mendel

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails