24 August 2008

Something Bigger, Something Brighter

You'll have to trust me when I say that I have little income to waste on silly trends or extravagant statements...I do work in publishing after all. This fall will be a challenge, certainly, as there is something about the fall that just compels me to want a new wardrobe. The first day of school outfit complex, I guess.

And with all the whining about the recession and spending and gas prices and all the rest of the blah, blah, blah, it seems that others are in a similar situation. Magazines and stores aren't helpful, they are of course trying to get us to buy things still by confusing consumers into thinking that our purchases are akin to investments if they dub them "classics." Please. Every white oxford you buy will turn yellow...that black cashmere turtleneck will pill...and the slushy winter will take it's toll on those perfectly tailored trousers. Neither clothes nor jewelry are investments and it's cruel of these editors to make these claims. Buy some stock if you're really concerned about a return. Fashion is fun and frivolous and there's no need to give it such weighted responsibilities.

So this fall I've decided that my updates will be colored tights (black, brown, plum, dark green and white) and a bold necklace. Both are simple and affordable and can make an outfit look new. But the goofy hat is best left behind, Burberry Prorsum.


J.Crew has an amazing piece for $150 (below). And for tights, don't feel compelled to buy Wolford...department store brands will work.



I'll get my newness fix through my upcoming item of the week posts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails