28 August 2008

Inattentiveness. Vague. Hollow.

Masao Yamamoto has a cool new series called "Nakazora."


The photographs are gorgeous, yes, but I'm becoming obsessed mostly because he sounds hilariously Lagerfeld in his description of the relationship between the work and the title:


"I would like "Nakazora" to be thought of not as a title with some definite meaning, but rather as a word to somehow describe my feelings at that time. I don't have a reason to explain why it has to be "Nakazora."

I have a feeling that "Nakazora" represents a broader space...more vaguely, more ambiguously, and still more obscurely, but yet a distinctive scent is there floating. It would be a delight for me if this "Nakazora" turns to be such a thing as to leave the viewers, including myself, a drop of that floating scent."

And, then, of course there's the wonderfully bizarre dictionary definition of Nakazora: The space between sky and earth, the place where birds, etc. fly. Empty air. An internal hollow. Vague. Hollow. Around the center of the sky. Or, emptiness. A state when the feet do not touch the ground. Inattentiveness. The inability to decide between two things. Midway. The center of the sky (the zenith). A Buddhist term.


Come to DC, please!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails